Family and Consumer Resource Guide: Navigating the Experience
Navigating the Experience: A guide for people living with mental illness and their families provides an overview of available resources and practical advice for difficult situations and relationships.
Or download individual sections below.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Mental Illness Overview
- What is Schizophrenia?
- What is Bipolar Disorder?
- What is Schizoaffective Disorder?
- What is Major Depression?
- What are Anxiety Disorders?
- Mental Health Services Overview
- Developing a Relationship with your Provider
- Assertive Community Treatment
- Inpatient Care
- Housing and Residential Care
- Peer Support
- Peer Run Respite
- Dual Diagnosis Services
- Complementary Approaches
- Mental Health Crisis Overview
- What is a Crisis?
- Basic Steps to Take in a Crisis
- Safe Police Interactions
- Tools for Crisis Prevention
- Introduction to Civil Commitments
- What is a Commitment?
- Why do Commitments Occur?
- How does a Commitment Begin?
- How does an Emergency Detention Work?
- Commitment Process and Possible Outcomes
- What Are My Rights?
- Healthy Relationships Overview
- Self-Care: Tips for Family Members
- Guidance for Family Members: Healing Relationships During Crises
- Guidance for Family Members: Disagreements about Treatment Needs
- Guidance for Family Members: Responding to Delusions