100 Extraordinary Women
Thank you to our Extraordinary Women for attending our celebration dinner!
NAMI was started by a group of extraordinary women.
In 1977, several mothers gathered in Madison, WI to discuss similar challenges they faced raising a child with serious mental illnesses. Two years later, they went on to form the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).
Please join 100 women who are making history now and help write NAMI Wisconsin’s next chapter! This is a unique way for women in our community to come together to help empower young people with mental illness by teaching them to Raise their Voice to create a new conversation about mental health through peer support and education, leadership development and civic advocacy.
By donating $100, be among the women who:
- Launch a new youth mental health movement in Wisconsin
- Change the way young people talk about and access mental health supports
- Want their name (or the name of a women they love or admire) recognized as part of the Raise Your Voice initiative
Thank you to our Extraordinary Women!
BRENDA L. FALK-HUZAR
ERICA A. FALK-HUZAR
SAMANTHA J. FOX
ALICE HOLSTEIN, ED.D.
PAMELA A. HUZAR
ANGIE KOPENSKI LUCIER
JENNA ELLEN PARFITT
CONNIE WALKER, MSED.
This is lag is largely due to the lack of mental health support and education that is provided for youth and their families. Consequently, ½ of students with mental illness drop out of school, end up in our juvenile justice system or die by suicide (which is the 3rd leading cause of death for youth ages 10-24). It is time we End the Silence. State and federal priorities have identified a significant need to expand services and interventions for transition age youth and provide early intervention for first episode psychosis.
NAMI Wisconsin will be part of the solution through a new youth empowerment movement, Raise Your Voice, designed specifically for Wisconsin youth that aims to end the stigma around mental illness by providing young adults the tools necessary to start a new conversation through peer support and education, leadership development and civic advocacy. Youth leaders will emerge who serve the critical function of linking their peers with school and community based mental health supports.
But we need your help! All Raise Your Voice programs are local and free, and primarily supported by donations, because having a healthy mind should be free. NAMI is a grassroots organization and your voice will be part of launching a new youth movement in WI.
WHERE GIFTS FROM 100 EXTRAORDINARY WOMEN WILL GO:
- Schools & communities are asking for this kind of initiative but need the support and expertise that NAMI Wisconsin can provide to get it off the ground.
- Your gift will fund the program development of NAMI Wisconsin High School Clubs and cover all start-up costs for schools (program materials, kick-off events, youth leadership trainings, etc.)
- To support the individualized technical assistance we will provide to local communities to implement the overall Raise Your Voice campaign and programs.
- The program will be available in communities across Wisconsin
- Youth and their families will recognize early symptoms and be empowered to seek help.
- Youth will receive early intervention, education and support that will allow them to fulfill their education goals and develop into thriving adults.
- Investing in youth leadership will enable these future leaders to take control of the conversation and advocate to change the way people in Wisconsin think about youth mental health.
Be part of the solution, today.